Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post

JRL stated that "If the noise is still there in 2WD it can logically be only two things left, the differential or the viscous coupling", but it is my understanding that the BG is still spinning, though it is not possible for me to verify while driving. Further, the noise is gone and the U-Joint and center bearing are fine.

How can you be sure?
    No way to see the center joint in the driveshaft.
    You have eliminated the rear end and the viscous coupling. All that is left is the bevel gear and the driveshaft.
    Since you still have a noise, albeit a different one I would suspect you (or someone who knows what to look for) should concentrate on the bevel gear. Make sure, they're expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    How can you be sure?
    Sure of what? The Spinning of the BG or the condition of the bearing?

No way to see the center joint in the driveshaft.
    Perhaps we aren't talking about the same thing. I have the drive shaft off the car and the U-Joints as well as the center bearing are without play or binding friction.

You have eliminated the rear end and the viscous coupling. All that is left is the bevel gear and the driveshaft.
    I came to the conclusion that it was either the BG or the VC, since both spin without the driveshaft and the clunking noise is replaced with a metallic whirring.

Since you still have a noise, albeit a different one I would suspect you (or someone who knows what to look for) should concentrate on the bevel gear. Make sure, they're expensive!
    So what else to look for other than bone dry? I'm no amateur at turning a wrench OR rebuilding a complicated piece of machinery, I'm just not experienced with a Volvo BG. Any tips here would be great. Can I remove the BG and still drive for diagnostic purposes?
    Last edited by mynameismud; 08-28-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post

Can I remove the BG and still drive for diagnostic purposes?
    Not sure.
    Now would be the time to take it to a Volvo mechanic or...the dealer!

Default Update #3

This weekend gave me the time to get into the BG and this is what I found:

A) A full 0.7L of oil was present and consequently removed from the BG. The color was quite dark, but not quite like molasses, and smelled like old gear lube, but not burnt. I replaced the lube and dried all surfaces with a shop towell.
    B) The metallic whirring was still present (but a bit quieter? or was that the sound of the cicadas drowning it out?) and made me nervous as hell.

I'll be taking it to an indy here in the KC metro. If anyone has any suggestions as to a trusty and reliable mechanic in the area shoot me a PM.

BTW, it'll be a very cold day in hell before my rig is seen at Volvo Dealer, especially the morons that operate Superior Volvo in the KC area. When i have warranty/recall issues, I'll likely take it to STL or Spfd, MO
    Last edited by mynameismud; 08-27-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Default News

Last nite I was able to build a jig to hold the driveshaft while I spun it using a drill. I found that every couple dozen revolutions I would get a binding in the front CV of the shaft and it would cause the drill to ratchet due to the torque setting (so as not to break my wrist). Further inspection reveals that the boot is torn at its base (very hard to see without probing with a flashlight).

Somehow relieved, I phoned my Volvo mechanic friend in Springfield to ask about replacement costs of the shaft. She informed me that there IS a repair kit available from Volvo for this CV.

She also informed me that there are TWO Superior Volvos in KC. The idiots I've been so put off by are on the South side of KC, but the knowledgable and solid folks are found at Superior Volvo of North Kansas City (a different city altogether, found North of the wide Missouri River).

I spoke with Devon in the Parts Department who confirmed that there IS a service kit available. The kit runs $241.48, and she informed me that there is only 1 kit available for 2000 model V70XC's, however I should count the nuber of splines on the shaft after I remove the bearing to avoid an extra trip. Currently I only have the last 4 digits of the part # (1204, and another for other models is 4441). When I buy and install this kit I will create a service How-To document.

Many thanks to all who have lent their experience and help.
    Last edited by mynameismud; 08-31-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Default Resolution?

I was just curious to hear how you were getting along with this problem. I am hearing some noises from the AWD on my '98 XC. I am just curious to hear how your noise turned out.

Default Well......

I still cannot afford to buy the part. Sad, I know, but Mr. Murphy has reared his ugly head and won't leave me alone. I had saved the ~$250 last week and was about to purchase it when, BAM!! You need a Root Canal! I'll be taking that ~$250 now, thanks! I'll likely not be able to buy it until early November. Luckily I live very near work and a liquor store, so i just walk or ride my bike.

FWIW, I have driven it plenty (no HWY though) and the Thud has never re-appeared since I removed the drive shaft. This being said, the whirring noise I hear is definitely the BG. It only happens when accelerating or coasting downhill (i.e. with gears engaged slowing the vehicle). As i coast on a flat, I do not hear it, but as soon as I step on the gas even a little, I hear it engage and whir.

I will post photos, part# and price and results when I get it fixed.

Default Got the part today

The Volvo part description is: Universal Joint. The part#: 30651204. And it's made in Germany.

I'll be installing it tonight, and I'll report if this was the fix or not. I'll admit that I'm a bit leary and nervous. If the VC or BG is shot, it'll be a deal breaker for me and I'll get shed of it ASAP.

Default Got the part today

The Volvo part description is: Universal Joint. The part#: 30651204. And it's made in Germany. It cost $260.74 after tax.

I'll be installing it tonight, and I'll report if this was the fix or not. I'll admit that I'm a bit leary and nervous. If the VC or BG is shot, it'll be a deal breaker for me and I'll get shed of it ASAP.

Default Well

I installed the part on the drive shaft last night.

This morning I re-installed the drive shaft. Then I drove it a couple of laps around the block- no noises.

At around 1:30PM I started out to the laundromat and heard the THUNK agian. F'n ****. I just flushed +$250 down the toilet. I'll be getting out from underneath this POS ASAP.

For ANYONE reading this post who is considering buying an XC- think again. For an auto maker who prides itself on having +1Million mile cars and long haul tractor trailer rigs that go and go, this sure has shown me what Volvo is really like. Perhaps the biggest auto-purchase mistake of my life. Hell, my 1990 Ford Bronco II never stranded me in the last 5 years with twice the miles. Before that, my '76 VW microbus took over 140K of abuse from me and also never left me without a ride.

As for the professional mechanics out there who work on Volvos, consider me one less sucker who will be visiting your repair bays. NEVER AGAIN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast