Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bevel Gear Question

Dear Fellow Travelers:

I need some enlightment. I have a 2001XC70. How often do you change oil in the bevel gear case? Is this something that I can do on my own? Or do I have to go to a dealer? how much do they charge for such a change?

Any info is going to be deeply appreciated?

Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

You can go to the volvocars us website and look at documentation for your vehicle on line (service schedules, warranty info, manuals, etc.). It's sort of a virtual glove box. It used to only be accessible with a VIN number, user id and password, but now anyone can access it.
    Click on For Owners on the right hand side.
    You should be able to get an answer there re when it gets done mileage-wise.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    You can go to the volvocars us website and look at documentation for your vehicle on line (service schedules, warranty info, manuals, etc.). It's sort of a virtual glove box. It used to only be accessible with a VIN number, user id and password, but now anyone can access it.
    Click on For Owners on the right hand side.
    You should be able to get an answer there re when it gets done mileage-wise.
    Thanks for the info, but for some reason I am unable to locate this information. Either I am blind or the Volvo manual does not provide this information.

It is probably I again being dumb like a rock.
    Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Quote Originally Posted by philosophicaldreamer
    Thanks for the info, but for some reason I am unable to locate this information. Either I am blind or the Volvo manual does not provide this information.

It is probably I again being dumb like a rock.
    Ta-ta, j.
    I couldn't locate it there either.
    Give your dealer a call.

EDIT- the 2005 lists an inspection every 15k miles of the bevel gear, but it doesn't say anything about fluid replacements.
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 11-05-2004 at 02:46 PM.

Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

VolvoClub ofAmerica

Try http://www.volvocars.us/VolvoOwnership/OwnersCircle/
    Never mind, that doesn't seem to work anymore....
    2002 V70XC Glacier White --> 2004 XC70 Ice White

Quote Originally Posted by Swamped
    Try http://www.volvocars.us/VolvoOwnership/OwnersCircle/
    Never mind, that doesn't seem to work anymore....
    The owners circle thing is gone. It's all in a public section now, no longer requiring a VIN, user id or password.

VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default My bevel gear is being replaced...

I've got my baby at the dealer for a last bit of warranty issues as I am nearing 50,000 miles and the end of my warranty. I had asked them to check the wheel bearings as I'd been hearing some extra noise the past few months, which sounded like excessive road noise or the early stages of bearing howl. I'd read on this forum that wheel bearings were one of those "issues" and wanted to go for some new improved bearings under warranty. If not the bearings I had a suspiscion that is was the Pirelli S/T tires which are still on the car with 5000+ miles of tread life (unbelievable to most I know). They're also replacing some rubber stripping along the driver's window and a few other minor things.

Well, just got the call to keep the loaner (an '05 V50) over the weekend as they've found that they need to replace the bevel gear and they didn't receive the part today as expected.

Sure am glad they caught that one!
    2001 V70xc, Ashgold/
    Sand, Premium Pkg

I emailed Haldex and they told me that it is life time filled.
    But this only goes on newer XC´s from 2003.

Dont know anything about the older system.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl
    I emailed Haldex and they told me that it is life time filled.
    But this only goes on newer XC´s from 2003.

Dont know anything about the older system.
    The bevel gear is at the transaxle (in front); it is not part of the Haldex or the previous viscous AWD device. It connects the transaxle to the rear driveshaft. On both my previous 2000 V70XC and current 2004 XC70 there is no mention of changing the bevel gear lubricant (but it should be checked, I believe at 15K intervals).

FWIW...I went by Volvo today and spoke to service manager...I asked him about bevel gear service/maintenance, what exactly do they do... he said they do it at 60K miles...drill out a bolt in the case, drain the housing, replace with clean Volvo Transmission Oil 11 61 648, and then install new drain plug. Not wanting to drill out the bolt in the bevel gear housing, I bought a $10 suction pump at Harbor Freight (known in my house as The Dark Side) and ordered the oil - $23 per liter! I'll just draw all the old gear out and pump in clean oil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast