Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Please reply if it was easy to get the oil out by your method

This job was extremely easy and cheap!

Here are the details:

I returned the cheap siphon pump and got a better one (mityvac by Lincoln Tools, see attached picture). The reason I bought this pump is that it both sucks fluid out using a hand-pumped vacuum and it also pumps fluid in. This is important in that there is no room to pour gear oil in the fill-hole of the bevel gear housing.

I placed the car (2000 V70XC SE) on ramps, slid under it and removed the 13mm bevel gear fill-plug (part #6 on the attached blow-up of bevel gear housing. Have a pan/rag handy...the gear oil will begin to dribble out when you remove the plug. I then fished the hose for the mityvac pump into the bevel gear housing. This can be a little tricky - you need to jiggle the hose a bit to get it down to the bottom of the housing (roughly 6 inches or so). Then I pumped the old gear oil out. The mityvac pump has a measuring/collection cup and I measured 0.75 liter of dark brown oil. The bevel gear oil has never been changed in my car (72K miles) but there were no metallic materials or any debris in the old gear oil .

I then blew the hoses out for the mityvac with compressed air to remove the residual old gear oil out. Then rearranged the hoses on the pump, placed one hose in the 1 liter Volvo Transmission Oil (part # 1161648) bottle and the other hose in the fill-hole of the bevel gear housing. Then I pumped fluid in the housing until gear oil began dribbling out of the hole. Put the plug back in the housing and checked the gear oil bottle and there was 0.25 liter of oil left (just to be sure I put the same amount in as I took out).

So the job costs $23 for the Volvo Transmission Oil and $27 for the mityvac pump...total of $50. I feel the pump has paid for itself already. I will be using it to do my yearly brake fluid change, power steering fluid change, and differential oil change. Hope this helps...good luck!

4/23/2005 Addendum

For a step-by-step description with pictures, download this file:

http://home.ripway.com/2005-4/294125/V70XCBevelGear.pdf
    Last edited by nlemerise; 04-23-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Excellent report - thanks. This is next on the list with the ATF flush.

Best not to use the same Mighty-Vac for oil and brake fluid.

Any petroleum contamination can really screw up your braking system, lots of expensive replacement parts.

Good idea but spring for an extra Vac, still a cheap investment and DIY savings galore.

Quote Originally Posted by nlemerise
    This job was extremely easy and cheap!

Here are the details:

I returned the cheap siphon pump and got a better one (mityvac by Lincoln Tools, see attached picture). The reason I bought this pump is that it both sucks fluid out using a hand-pumped vacuum and it also pumps fluid in. This is important in that there is no room to pour gear oil in the fill-hole of the bevel gear housing.

I placed the car (2000 V70XC SE) on ramps, slid under it and removed the 13mm bevel gear fill-plug (part #6 on the attached blow-up of bevel gear housing. Have a pan/rag handy...the gear oil will begin to dribble out when you remove the plug. I then fished the hose for the mityvac pump into the bevel gear housing. This can be a little tricky - you need to jiggle the hose a bit to get it down to the bottom of the housing (roughly 6 inches or so). Then I pumped the old gear oil out. The mityvac pump has a measuring/collection cup and I measured 0.75 liter of dark brown oil. The bevel gear oil has never been changed in my car (72K miles) but there were no metallic materials or any debris in the old gear oil .

I then blew the hoses out for the mityvac with compressed air to remove the residual old gear oil out. Then rearranged the hoses on the pump, placed one hose in the 1 liter Volvo Transmission Oil (part # 1161648) bottle and the other hose in the fill-hole of the bevel gear housing. Then I pumped fluid in the housing until gear oil began dribbling out of the hole. Put the plug back in the housing and checked the gear oil bottle and there was 0.25 liter of oil left (just to be sure I put the same amount in as I took out).

So the job costs $23 for the Volvo Transmission Oil and $27 for the mityvac pump...total of $50. I feel the pump has paid for itself already. I will be using it to do my yearly brake fluid change, power steering fluid change, and differential oil change. Hope this helps...good luck!

Great post!

Volvo waytooexpensive transmission oil = Mobil ATF 3309
    There is a post with info on where to buy.

EDIT:
    Where did you purchase the Mityvac?
    $27 sounds better than the $37 I've seen.
    Last edited by babalu87; 04-22-2005 at 08:09 AM.
    2001 XC Java
    1994 Dodge Dakota 4WD 5 speed 305,000 RIP
    2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 crew cab

Excellent description

I got the mityvac at Harbor Freight, right next to the cheap siphon pump in the automotive section.

Volvo waytooexpensive transmission oil = Mobil ATF 3309
    There is a post with info on where to buy.

NOTE: I don't want to cause confusion, but I am confused . So I have to ask a few questions.

Volvo Transmission Fluid #1161648 is the same as Mobil ATF 3309?

Do they use this same fluid (#1161648) in the automatic transmission of some Volvo transmissions?

I ask this because I found the earlier post on the Mobil ATF and it sounds like some folks used it for the auto transmission flush fluid...I guess those transmissions must be considerably different than the AW42AWD in my XC...the oil from Volvo (1161648) had a viscosity that was much too high to use in the transmission. When I flushed my tranny I use Chevron ATF which met the spec given for the AW42AWD transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by nwxc70 View Post
    I've got my baby at the dealer for a last bit of warranty issues as I am nearing 50,000 miles and the end of my warranty. I had asked them to check the wheel bearings as I'd been hearing some extra noise the past few months, which sounded like excessive road noise or the early stages of bearing howl. I'd read on this forum that wheel bearings were one of those "issues" and wanted to go for some new improved bearings under warranty. If not the bearings I had a suspiscion that is was the Pirelli S/T tires which are still on the car with 5000+ miles of tread life (unbelievable to most I know). They're also replacing some rubber stripping along the driver's window and a few other minor things.

Well, just got the call to keep the loaner (an '05 V50) over the weekend as they've found that they need to replace the bevel gear and they didn't receive the part today as expected.

Sure am glad they caught that one!

Ive got 3mo and 10k left on my warranty (just bought the car). Is it reasonable to think that the Volvo dealers will honestly root out potential issues and fix them under warranty, or are they more likely to let these issues (assuming there's no safety issue) ride til you get to pay for them?

Im keeping my fingers crossed that my new xc doesnt turn into a money pit. My previous Volvo, and 87, got to the point to where I had to let her go. Every time I took the car in for something, they would consistently come back with a list of 10 new issues. I fixed the critical problems and let the other stuff slide. I couldnt afford the car in the end.

Might I also ask how one checks the bevel gear lube? I apologize if I missed it somewhere in the mix here.

Thanks. Eric
    Last edited by Ag04XC; 03-13-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ag04XC View Post
    Ive got 3mo and 10k left on my warranty (just bought the car). Is it reasonable to think that the Volvo dealers will honestly root out potential issues and fix them under warranty, or are they more likely to let these issues (assuming there's no safety issue) ride til you get to pay for them?
    That's probably highly variable, depending on competence & honesty of a given dealership.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that my new xc doesnt turn into a money pit.
    At some point I think most Volvos probably cost mucho $$ to maintain. Just look at the relative cost of parts.

Might I also ask how one checks the bevel gear lube?
    I think Volvo's spec is to fill it up to the fill opening, then remove 100 ml, or something like that.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Thanks Moe. Im planning on getting the extended warranty. Im going to check into how long I can wait, to maximize, and probably take the car in for service prior to the original warranty expiration and see what I can get covered, if I need anything. Thanks for the support.

Eric

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast