Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How many of you have the angle gear blown?
    I had my first 01V70XC early this year and blown the angle gear. Now I have my second V70XC.
    I notice a minor leak from the transfer case.
    I like the XC but I am fear for the angle gear problem happen again. Can we replace or clean the vent of angle gear by ourselves w/o taking it out?
    what major(cost) failure an XC70 has?

Quote Originally Posted by tranmkp View Post
    Doing my modification of the bevel gear - my mech told me it was a no brainer for anyone who has worked on transmissions.

The poster above is correct - vent gets clogged. BG is splashed lubed. Lots of pressure. Pressure will blow seals. I put in a vented loop.

I dont want to get in a s--t fight with anyone but I have my doubts about the tire size issue. Short of some idiot putting a huge tire on the car. I ran a size larger on one tire on the back of my car. I took temp readings of the BG with stock and with the larger tire. There was no difference. This was on a 90 mile trip.

Keep the BV filled, vented and cooled and all will be well.

I recently had the bevel gear seals replaced under warranty at a Volvo dealer and thought I'd post the info. According to my invoice, the job required two parts, a sealing ring (30735126-2, $20.85) and an O-ring (977023, $5.53). Oddly, no charge for fluid replacement is listed, but I would assume a quart/liter of that is required, too. Labor was $297.00 (not sure what the rate is). I don't know if the unit was removed or not, but I'll check next time I change the oil and see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by tranmkp View Post
    I dont want to get in a s--t fight with anyone but I have my doubts about the tire size issue.
    I believe tire size would affect the VC, not the bevel gear.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

According to the posts on this forum, clogging vent is the origin of angle gear problem. Replacing the seal may correct minor leak from transfer case. Keeping the vent working is the key to keep clear of angle gear problem.
    I had a look at the transfer case early this year. I found a small piece of brass tube(~1/4"long) but I had no time to check whether it is the vent or not. Can anybody confirm it?
    Is the vent simply a small opening or a one way valve?

Quote Originally Posted by MoeB View Post
    I recently had the bevel gear seals replaced under warranty at a Volvo dealer and thought I'd post the info. According to my invoice, the job required two parts, a sealing ring (30735126-2, $20.85) and an O-ring (977023, $5.53). Oddly, no charge for fluid replacement is listed, but I would assume a quart/liter of that is required, too. Labor was $297.00 (not sure what the rate is). I don't know if the unit was removed or not, but I'll check next time I change the oil and see what it looks like.

I believe tire size would affect the VC, not the bevel gear.

There is a small brass tube that VADIS calls the bleed valve.VADIS also indicates it has a filter inserted in the end of the tube after it is tapped into the bevel gear case.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thanks for the confirmation.
    I don't have VADIS.
    I didn't find any filter at a glance.
    I hope the vent is easily accessible so that it can be cleaned by compress air, WD40 or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    There is a small brass tube that VADIS calls the bleed valve.VADIS also indicates it has a filter inserted in the end of the tube after it is tapped into the bevel gear case.

Bill

I've never had to do anything with the bleed valve so I don't really know how accessible it is. One bad omen, however, is that VADIS calls for the removal of the bevel gear in order to replace the bleed valve.

Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Wow. What an awesome car. Parts which can only be purchased in "modules". Whoopie!

Sasquatch,
    I'm not sure whether your "modules" comment is in response to my posting. If it is, I did not intend to say anything about purchasing parts, I was just saying the VADIS indicates removal of the bevel gear is one of the steps involved in replacing a bevel gear vent.

Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

I have one of these sitting in my garage. The vent is a small brass tube. It is not accessible while mounted. I'll check it to see if there is any type of valving in it, but I do not think so. I'll post some pics soon.

I had to replace my bevel gear recently and bought one from Voluparts. Luckily they had a new one and the price sure was right, too bad I can't turn the old one in for a core refund (I already checked). I may be able to pull the seals out and cross reference the part numbers. There's not a whole lot to this unit but it is a major job to replace it.

Shawn

Lee-Bob Guest

Default Can we do this?

Dang. I just got started in all this, and just read the OP. That pic looks like it was taken in MY garage, of the BG housing in MY '01! I got a good look at it last night as I was flushing the tranny.

So, as this noob understands the above discussion.... Keeping the vent clear is an important part of keeping an expensive part from failing, and to check or clean it, you have to remove it, which is a major PITA.

Do I have it so far?

How many days would it take the average S**thouse mechanic to do this job? A weekend? Special tools? Double-secret computer resets afterward?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast