Arrow New Prop Shaft - looks different

I purchased a new Prop shaft from Axles Unlimited for $635.00. Pretty good deal. However, visually it is not identical. however, dimensionally it is. They assured me it was the right one and would fit, but my eyes make me wonder...

The length is identical as is the position of the center carrier bearing. What is different is the size of the center U-joint which looks more substantial. The center joint also has a grease fitting which the old one did not.

Take a look at the pictures. Side by side photos below.

Does anyone know if Volvo updated their design and left the dimensions the same?

If the length etc. is identical is there any reason it shouldn't fit or problems it could cause?

Thanks in advance!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

It appears that they installed slightly different style yokes for the U-joint, but as long as the center carrier is the same and the length is the same, you're good to go. And since there is a grease fitting (a good thing by the way) you can keep greasing it occasionally, making for a happier U-joint.

Thanks YL staffer! Since you are so on top of these things another question or 2:

It has been so long since i took the propshaft out I can't remember if the section with the carrier bearing is towards the front or back.

As per my other post, I purchased the bushing for the VC as a good measure repair for $30. You don't happen to have a picture of where it goes do you? perhaps it is just plain obvious. I haven't been under there looking in awhile....Also, do you know if your mechanic had to drop the VC to get the old bushing out or just remove the single mounting bolt. The difference between a 1/2 hour to an hour job and a 3 hr job (assuming difficulties like seized bolts and hard to reach bolts!)

Thanks again for the advice/help
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque

Hahaha well 8pack that's funny cuz I don't remember which end is which either. BUT... it should be obvious when you get under there cuz the sections are different lengths and won't mount backwards. In other words, if the mounting spots on the center carrier bearing don't match up with the location on the under body, turn it around. And yes, the mounting bracket for the VC is simply an arm that extends from the housing to the body and mounts with one bolt and that's where the bushing goes. And it's all once piece... in other words the bracket is cast aluminum and extends from the cast aluminum housing. Hopefully that all makes sense. No removal of the VC is necessary to replace the bushing.

Arrow

Carrier bearing toward the REAR!! The propshaft fits perfectly. Thanks for all your help. Used it to put together a post on diagnosing these problems...

My problem was the BUSHING and not the propshaft, just as yours...for everyone out there read the post in the link below and save yourself some money if it is the bushing...wasted $650 but I do have a nice new propshaft and my old one had 152k on it so it was likely to go anyway!

For those interested, I got this at Axles Unlimited for $635.

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17742
    Last edited by 8pack; 12-23-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: update