Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've recently noticed a vibration that's developed in my '98 V70 XC. I replaced the p/s motor mount, both control arms, and both front struts. I get a shudder when I am almost stopped, and again, when I pull away. It seems to be much worse when making tight turns, more so only l/h than r/h turns. I'm wondering if it's the p/s drive shafter or outer CV joint, or could it possibly be the angle gear? I don't have a vibration at speed.

Default same problems driveshaft vibration/ give

I took my car into a local all purpose service place brakes,oil, tires, etc. Because my car is experiencing the same problems, i.e. driveline vibration as I let off the gas in 4th gear a heavy shudder thoroughout. I was told there is excessive play in the driveshaft, which is not good obviously, is it imperative I get car to my independent immediately or do I have a little time? Also does anyone have an idea where I could find the parts I need for cheaper (haven't had it diagnosed by indy yet but guessing propeller/ front or rear driveshaft.)

Default Parts

For OEM parts, I have had good luck with Beechmont Volvo in Cincinnati, OH, 1-800-255-3601.
    The give a 20% discount (possibly only for VCOA members) and never any shipping charges. I have ordered large items like a driveshaft for a 240 which had to be sent from Sweden and also once a windshield and still no shipping charges. Most of the parts guys/gals are very helpful. Local dealships will often discount the parts also but there are none near me. I live in rural Northern MI and parts arrive in two days, three days if they have to special order it.
    I hope this is helpful.
    Steven
    2007 XC90 V8
    1998 V70XC
    1992 245

Default Driveline vibration

My '99 XC is back in the shop for driveline vibration. It all started with a vibration/pinging ratcheting sound that turned out to be a bad viscous coupling at the front of the drive shaft. (Rubber grease seals failed leading to failure of the coupling). If yours hasn't failed yet check for grease expelled from this coupling before it's to late. Anyway, after the VC was replaced, I noticed there is still a vibration at around 65mph. Volvo shop is now looking into the possablity that the shop that replaced the VC did it wrong. Appearantly, one of the bolts that mounts the VC is longer than the others and needs to be put back in the same hole it came out of for proper balance. We shall see how this goes.

Default Drive shaft vibration

My front CV joint went bad on my driveshaft causing a bad vibration and pinging and racheting sound. I had the CV joint replaced at an independent shop because there is no close by volvo dealer. For the most part that fixed the problem but there remained some vibration at 60-70 mph. It turns out that when the drive shaft is removed you need to replace every mounting bolt in the exact place it came from. On mine, one bolt at the rear of the driveshaft is longer than the others for balancing purposes. This bolt was reinstalled in the wrong position and caused the vibration. There is no easy way of identifying the proper place for the balance bolt. Anyway I had the balance bolt replaced with a standard bolt and the vibration went away. I guess the drive shaft is not perfectly balanced now but it's not noticable to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12