Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Trailer Hitch Experience

I just recently joined this forum after purchasing an '02 Cross Country wagon.

I read all the posts I could find regarding installing trailer hitches and weighed the benefits of a factory vs an aftermarket hitch. I tend to be a do-it-yourselfer, but was a little intimidated about the effort involved installing a factory hitch. Consequently, I ordered a "Hidden Hitch" from hitchmart.com for $154 delivered and am extremely happy with it. It has a round tube and really hugs the chassis for a factory, professional look . The installation was real easy taking less than an hour with basic tools. I had several 2" receivers from previous vehicles, but this hitch came with a 1-1/4" drawbar, pin, clip and receiver cover . I then ordered a factory wiring harness (p/n 8698079) from autowebaccessories.com for $74.47 plus shipping, which plugged right into the pigtail in the car by the spare tire. The total cost was less than $240 and I am extremely pleased.

Thanks to all who have contributed previously regarding this topic. It was those posts that helped me solve my trailer hitch dilemna.

Glad to hear that you are very happy with your trailer hitch, I choose to go factory and am very pleased with the preformance and the look.

Ditto Wagonguy - I went the Hidden Hitch route with the Volvo wiring harness. Very easy install, great price, looks great, happy all the way around!

How about posting some photos of the Hidden Hitch?
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Here's a quick shot.

thanks for the picture, kschatwin. Seems that you had to cut skid plate, was it difficult to take it off? I wonder if there is a way to leave skid plate uncut.

Actually, I didn't have to do anything to the skid plate; the cut-out was already there. I bought the car used, and the skid plate came with it. The skid plate does not appear to ever have been modified, so perhaps that's the way they come.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Nice work kschatwin.

There are actually two versions of the rear skid plates with factory cut outs designed to accommodate different tow hitches.

This one…

…and this one where the notch extends farther into the plate for the Volvo 2" receiver.

Closer views of the Volvo hitch and plate.

Great pictures, Art. Thanks for posting.

Mine '05 does not have a cut in the skid plate, but I'm leaning towards ordering Hidden hitch online and installing it myself.

Plan to use it for the bike carrier only and not towing a trailer.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

That makes a lot of sense maka. With that said, I prefer the aluminum cut-outs on the 2nd gen models (photos) over the current plastic versions. You may want to double check to make sure that there will be sufficient clearance between the decorative plastic skid plate and the hitch apparatus itself. I don't have a hitch installed, but the bottom of the plastic plate on mine hangs a bit lower than I realized. Several months ago, I spotted another 2006 XC70 that was equipped with the 2” Volvo hitch and its rear plastic skid plate and bumper cladding clearly had a notch cut out of them to accommodate the receiver.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you‘re done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast